Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Guatemala MTC - Week 3

What’s poppin fam? It was so good to hear from all of you! This week has been pretty average, nothing too special.

Okay bad news first, one of my pairs of glasses broke and the other one (my older pair) the coating on one of the lenses is cracking and it makes it hard to see out of one side. Right now I am wearing contacts. I talked to the Mission Doctor here and he said that it’s fine to have contacts here as long as you don’t mind getting a little dust in your eye during the day and washing your hands before handling them.  Pssshhh a little dust in your eye? I have rocks for eyeballs! If it’s not too much trouble could you send contacts to me? It should be my mission address since I enter the field this Monday or Tuesday!!!!!


I am so excited, and a little nervous. An elder from the San Salv. had to come stay here at the Guat CCM for some visa troubles. I was talking to him and he said that the Salvadoreans eat Armadillo and Iguana all the time should be pretty... interesting? I can’t wait for that. I have also heard that they eat rat... could also be good.


Spanish is coming along okay, I can normally get the gist of what people are saying, but I can tell that the Latinos here slow down for us Nortes as they call us. People here get offended if they ask you where you are from and you say "America" because they are Americans too so it’s "Norte" or "Gringo" or "soy de los Estados."


In our room with Elder A and I are four other Latinos, they are pretty cool. The first day they didn’t go to bed till like 11.30 and woke up at around 5.30 I was a little worried but they have gotten more into the normal routine. They are super patient and willing to help me out with Spanish which is really nice.


Could you guys do me a favor, everyone here talk about "camel spiders" and we are trying to figure out if they are poisonous or not. Any help would be appreciated, it’s hard to find out stuff like that without being able to use the internet or have books. The Guatemala City temple was closed this week so we didn’t get to go and do that today, which was fine we just played basketball and lifted. It was perfect.


I’ve been trying to eat a little better since we can have ice cream with every lunch and dinner, they have a cheesecake flavored ice cream sandwich made by a brand called "Sarita" if I remember right, they are heavenly if you guys can get a hold of some do it. The milk is also UHT milk kind of like the Gossner stuff that the McGregor’s always have. But they have yogurt like that, it’s a little runnier than regular yogurt but it tastes the same its way good.


Anyway I was really glad to hear that you are all reading scriptures as a family, during this email I was going to make an addition everyone’s goals to read the scriptures as a family but you guys already took care of that! Keep up the good work! Hopefully next week I will be able to send some pictures, have more stuff to talk about, and have longer to write! Until then I love you all and wish you the best!


Elder Schriever