Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Guatemala MTC - Week 2

¿que tal familia? 

Today we got to go on a little excursion into Guatemala City while they cleaned the CCM. We got to go to a acre sized relief map of Guatemala and talk about how it might be where the BoM took place pretty interesting. It was made in like 1906 by some dude on a horse with prospecting gear, amazing. You can probably find a picture on google images since I can't send them yet. Just google Guatemala Relief map and it should come up, it was pretty sweet!


Then we went to a market thing and walked around for about an hour or so. Dad I tried to find an Amanita but the group of missionaries I was with weren't really interested in the food section of the store. Maybe in El Salvador. The market was crazy, that's really the only word for it! Everyone would swarm you if you even looked interested in something at their stall, and they would kinda follow you for a little bit trying to get you to buy stuff. I didn't buy anything because I don't want to carry it around for another 22 months. But they did have some pretty sweet blankets, jackets, carvings etc. Some lady was selling marijuana paste which was different. You don't see that every day in the states.


Even the drive to the place was different. Traffic here is terrible. People just ignore traffic lines or there aren't any on the road. People don't walk on the sidewalk, and motorcycles just drive between cars and weave around traffic. But the people are really nice if you can stop and talk to them.


I got a cool picture in front of one of the main government buildings once I can send a picture I'm sure Dad will be able to find out exactly where it is on google earth but its a big government plaza somewhere on the north side of Guatemala city. I believe it was in zone 4 if that helps.


There were all these pigeons everywhere and for a quetzal you could get some food to throw to them. The only people who were entertained by the pigeons were 4 year old kids and 20 year old gringo missionaries. It was funny to see all of the weird looks we got. We stopped at a Wendy's and got lunch too. I don't think that a chicken sandwich with french fries has every tasted so good!


I found out that I will be leaving for El Salvador on the 19th which is a little earlier than I expected but I don't mind. I kinda want to be out in the field already. I got a dear elder from Anna this week. I don't know if anyone else sent them or not. If you did hopefully they will get here before I leave.


Happy birthday to Eli! I was actually kinda glad my P-Day was on Tuesday instead of Wednesday so I get to say that. What else... I'm not sure what else to write really. I hope you all have a great week and that everyone is happy and healthy. Keep working on your goals!


Love you all. Elder Schriever