Monday, August 26, 2013

Izalco 26

What up family?
    First off sorry to everyone going back to school, thats always a bummer, you are going to be in my thoughts and prayers for sure. I remember the worst days ever were the last day of summer vacation. Just know that it won´t last too long, and if you take to time to enjoy it, it can actually be a lot of fun! Life is never easy, and if we don´t learn to smile even when its difficult, when will we learn? For example, this week brought its fair share of how shall I put this, Hershey Squirts, for Elder S and I. We just laughed and laughed about it and in the end it wasn´t that bad. I am sorry about always sending repetitive letters, I feel like alot of times there isn´t a whole lot of new stuff to say. But I know that If I think really hard I can think of interesting stuff for you guys. 
     This week was the peak of Elote season (corn on the cob) just when its new and soft. The difference between elote and maiz is that elote isn´t quite ripe and maiz is mature corn. They make all kinds of tamales, atols, and drinks with the sweet, young, corn. But it only lasts a few weeks so you gotta enjoy it while it lasts. Yesterday it seemed like everyone was giving us food, we went and contacted a few people in the streets so Elder S. could get some practice, and every person that we contacted gave us some food,  tamales and fruit. And in two lessons they gave us stuff to eat. Best. Sunday. Ever. We also had Ward conference which was really good. There were 130 people in church with is a little under double what there was last week. It was really powerful and I felt the spirit and learned alot. 
    I was reading in the Book of Mormon and came accross Alma 26:27 where it talks about bearing afflictions with patience and the Lord will give us success. I have been feeling guilty because I haven´t baptized anyone in about three months. And at times I have trying to think about  what I am doing wrong, and why I can´t fulfill my purpose. But the more I think about it the mission is more than just baptizing lots of people. It's also helping people strengthen their testimony and come closer to Christ. The favorite lesson that we taught this week was to the C. family. A less active member and his wife. He went blind about 8 years ago but has been a member for over 20 years, was Elder´s quorum president, and almost got called as Bishop. But right now is going to another church with his inactive wife. He expressed to us that he is confused over which church is true and that he really doesn´t have a strong testimony about where he´s at, his wife as well. My companion and I both shared our testimonies of the church and there was a sweet spirit there. It was the first time that the wife had really talked to us, she always had gone into another room when we came to the house. But today she was ironing in the same room but paying close attention because she made comments and asked for some of the references to the scriptures that we were talking about. It was a great lesson and we both left feeling great. I don´t know what will come out of it but at the very least they felt the spirit and we are planting that seed. 
     Today what we are going to do is go to the woodshop of M. G., J. G.´s brother and woodcarve. I am so excited. I am going to carve the temple of El Salvador with ¨familia Alas¨ below and give it to them. R got called as the ward mission leader and is doing a great job. I think that he will be ready to go get sealed in about seven months so I am way excited for them and want to make sure they keep the temple as a goal. I'll be sure to send you guys a picture when its finished. I´m gonna try and go work on it for about an hour every P-day, and M. G. is going to give me the wood and let me borrow his chisels. Hopefully it will turn out well. I´ll be sure to keep you guys updated. My comp is a great sport for letting me go do it. 
     I was so happy to hear that the missionaries came over and that you all liked them a lot. It's hard at times and I bet Eagle Idaho is probably a very difficult area. Could you guys invite them over for dinner some time? I'm sure they would love it. Give them some of the ¨Rod's famous sourdough rye cranberry buns.¨ There's nothing like having support of the members as a missionary it really makes a world of difference. 
   I'll try to send you guys some pictures now. I sent one of my SD cards home with Elder Ward. He is going to BYU so maybe he and Eli can meet up at the WILK and give it to you guys. It's got some 150 pictures on it. Anyway hope everything goes well for you guys and that school is a blast. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Love you all,
Elder Schriever