Monday, January 20, 2014

Changes...

     Well to be perfectly honest we havent been told for sure what is going to happen this upcoming change. They will hopefully let us know today or tommorow. I really want to know whats going on so does everyone else, but they always let us know about changes at the very last moment. I guess thats just part of the game. I know for sure that I am not training next change or going to Belize, but I could be finishing Elder C. training still. I guess we will soon find out (me sooner than all of you) That is mostly what has been going on here. I am thinking that basically our whole district is going to get broken up, we already know that one guy is going to Belize, Elder S, and his companion is going to be training. We are all also looking forward to meeting with Quintin L Cook on thursday. We are all bracing to get ¨macheted¨ or just ripped apart for being lazy/disobedient, but who knows what it will actually be like. I'd imagine we get chastized a little bit but mosty encouraged to work harder and be better, that's what we really need anyway. 
     This week most of our people bailed on us for church. We had found a new family this week that were super positive J and J, but when it came time to go to church they were nowhere to be found, didn't answer their phones and weren't home. Somewhat dissapointing, but maybe something came up, who knows. C went to a wedding that someone had in the church to see that it doesn't have to be anything fancy. I think it helped her a lot to realize that the most important part is following a commandment of God. We are shooting to get them married for February 14th, and we have a short window to get all of the papers figured out and get them both excited about it. We are going to have to hurry and really get them going. But she has started to read the Book of Mormon more consistantly and we are really excited for that. That has been one of her problems in the past. Most people here don't have the habit of reading books, they don't like to do it and they are mules to get started. But It is so important. If someone doesn't read, they are never going to get a true testimony of the Book of Mormon, or Joseph Smith, or of the Church. Its one of the most important steps in conversion. and she is starting to take it. Who did come to church was a man named T L, a non-member husband of a super active wife. He also is a active member of the Catholic church. which makes for some interesting lessons. It has definitely given me a good test on my bible knowledge. I have read the new testament twice in spanish, and am currently almost through Exodus, chapter 21 to be exact, my goal is to read the bible cover to cover, twice, and I am still a little bit behind. But I knew enough so that he know we study the bible as well as the Book of Mormon. It was crazy because earlier that day I was reading in 2 nephi 9, the last little bit, and I looked through a couple cross references to the bible, while I was chasing down that reference another scripture would catch my attention from that same chapter. For example in Matthew 11 where it talks about how the law and the prophets were up until John the Baptist. I was stitting there and decided to try and come up with how I would answer that verse if someone mentioned it to me, by going to ephesians 4: 11-13. How Christs church is founded upon Prophets, apostles, etc, until we come to the unity of the faith. Anyway every scripture that I had looked up earlier that day, were the same scriptures that he used to test us. It was amazing for me to see how the lord prepared me to teach that lesson and respond to his individual questions. We taught him about prophets and apostasy, and invited him to pray and read the Book of Mormon. Overall it was a great visit. I really enjoyed it. 
      We have been working with the V family trying to get the wife reactivated so they can get sealed in the temple. She has now been going to church for three Sundays in a row and she will soon get her recommend to go and do baptisms for the dead. A huge step. She has schizophrenia and bipolarity, so it is sometimes hard to work with her. But she has been making huge strides. Our goal is that they get sealed in February, possibly March. Either way we are really excited for the progress she has made, especially in overcoming the nasty side affects. She has been so great. 
      Well thats mostly whats been going on here. I am gonna try and send some pictures to all of you guys so stay tuned. Love you all and hope for the best. Take care. 
Elder Schriever

Note to self: Never slide tackle on turf, but I didn't let the goal in. Totally worth it.
This monkey that we saw, we didn't get close because he was trying to bite, but he was so cute!