Monday, June 24, 2013

Izalco


Well family 
   It sounds like you all had a really busy week! Same here as well. As always we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to find new people, trying to teach the people we have, and convice all of the inactive people to come to church. By the end of the day I am beat for sure. But it is a very satisfying beat. Lately all of my dreams have been of teaching people, so I really feel like I am teaching all day and all night. A lot of times I wake up and I´m still talking to the "investigator" from my dreams and I wonder what I´m doing in my bed. 
     We found four new families to teach this week which was really exciting. I'm not sure how it will turn out but they were at least willing to talk to us and let us come back! Right now our only problem is that we don´t have enough hours in the day to talk to all the people we need to. But I guess thats not a terrible problem to have. This morning we were going to go to Santa Ana to have lunch at President's house, but he had to make a trip to Belize so we didn't get to go :( But thats okay, right now is just a crazy time for the mission in general. President Hintze comes on the 28th, we have a multizone on the 25th, and interviews with President Cordón on the 20th - 25th. Most likely when President Hintze comes he will have a mission meeting with all of the missionaries from both departments so the next little bit should be packed full of meetings, and administrative stuff. It's kinda exciting all of the changes but really it doesn´t make any difference in day to day life. 
     This week every morning I made papaya licuados, its basically whole milk, papaya, ice and sugar all blended up. They are amazing just so you guys know. There is a really good pupusaria just across the street from our house so we take advantage of that a lot right now. I had an interesting soup this week its called mora soup. It's basically a more bland spinach with potatoes and broth. Nothing very exciting but very authentic. 
      Okay time for a Spanish mix up story. There is a guy in the ward that got married less than a month ago. So I wanted to ask him "so how´s the life as a married man?" and to say that you would say "¿y qué tal la vida de un marido?" but what I said was "¿y qué tal la vida de un marero?" (How's the life of a gangster?) Marero is the term for the gangsters here, thug. Rest assured I got a weird look and a few laughs from the people that heard. But it's all good, nothing too serious. 
     The rainy season is officially in. At seven pm every day it rains, hard. This past thursday was especially bad. I have never seen rain like that before! There was lighting every two seconds, and the rain was coming down in sheets. It lasted for about 1.5 hours too, some of the streets were flooded and I was soaked, despite my rain poncho. But it was awesome I love the rain, its like a free shower! And it washes away the sweat from the day. The only problem is that during the lessons the rain on the sheet metal roofs sounds like a marching band is going at it just outside the door, and we can´t hear anything. So to talk you have to teach and yell almost at the top of your lungs. It makes me feel like a baptist preacher screaming repentance at the top of my lungs. My favorite thing to do when it rains is sing "Paz, Calmase" (Master, the Tempest is Raging) It makes me smile. 
     Anyway hope you all are doing well and having a good time, take care of  yourselves and have fun.  Okay have a good one talk to you later!
Elder Schriever