Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Walking Dead (and Thanksgiving)

BELIZE!!!! was awesome, I´m not going to give too many details or send pictures so that we have stuff to talk about when I get home. It's my version of Dad´s "Radio Silence" I think that If i save some stuff to tell you guys the first few days we will have more to talk about! These past few days have been a whirlwind. We had a baptism on Sunday of the mother in law of one of the counselors of the bishopric, she is about 70 years old and has knee problems, and is afraid of water. It was probably one of the most difficult baptisms I have done as far as the ordinance goes. She stiffened up when she had to go back. I didn´t  throw her in the water but had to force her a little bit. But in the end she was happy. 
    I went to work in some of the zones this week and went to a few areas that I had never been to called San Juan Opico and Joyas de Cerén. It was really good, they are all teaching lots of families and its great to see. There is nothing better than teaching a young couple and realizing that if they decide to follow Christ that it will have an eternal impact on all of their children, and grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Its so great to see. 
   As far as mission work goes we had a successful week. We have been able to find several new investigators through recent converts and members. It was good to have more people in our teaching pool sometimes I feel like we just walk in the same circles over and over again. We need to break out and do something new. 
   This week has been hard to keep the bagginess away. Between all of you in your emails and the missionaries that call me every day and let me know the day and hour countdown, and realizing that there´s not much time left. I have resorted to finding out their countdown as well and everytime they remind me I remind them. For example this morning Elder K called me and said "Hey Schriever we have an emergency!" "What what happened" "You only have 15 days left, thats 360 hours" " Let me think just add that to the 98 other days that you have left.. thats only 113 days!!!" "Okay hey I gotta go" Its probably not the best way but I can't just roll over and take it. It's gonna hard facing my last full week but we´ll get through it. 
    I wanted to take some time talk about Thanksgiving. A grateful person is always satisfied. and when we focus on being grateful for what we have we are so much happier. I am so grateful for the time to be a missionary. and for the blessing of having the true gospel in my life. I have seen what a difference it has made. I am also grateful for the opportunites Heavenly Father has given me, to get an education, to have a good job, to have a great family. There are not many people in the world more blessed than me. I want to thank you all for taking the time to write me and letting me know how everything is going. I hope you all have a great thanksgiving and a wonderful weekend! 
Love you all!
Elder Schriever